If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (316) 684-6700

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Is My Water Loss Covered by Insurance?

7/7/2022 (Permalink)

Finding bursting pipes or a flood of water in your Wichita, KS home or business is a stressful experience, from having to get the mess cleaned, to trying to salvage your belongings, there are so many overwhelming things. Adding the worry about whether your insurance will cover water emergency restoration services is something that you should not have to do. Here are some tips for filing a successful insurance claim. 

Types of Water Damage Covered by Insurance 

Not all water damage is covered by your insurance. Typically, there will be at least some coverage for the following incidents: 

  • Sump Pump Failure 
  • Overflow 
  • Storm damage 
  • Sewer backup 
  • Sudden discharge of water 

Gradual Damage 

Unfortunately, most insurance policies usually do not include coverage for gradual damage. Gradual damage includes harm caused by: 

  • Damaged wires 
  • Leaking pipes 
  • Improper repairs 
  • Basement or roof cracks  

There can be some exceptions to this rule. For instance, your policy may not cover the cost to fix broken pipe issues that leaked over time, but insurance may pay to repair or replace items in your home that were damaged by water from this pipe. There are so many factors that can play into what is and is not covered by insurance but take comfort in knowing that SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita will work closely with your insurance company. 

There are several things we recommend doing to reduce your chances of an insurance claim being denied in the future. Start by doing regular maintenance of your home, checking in crawl spaces, under cabinets, and being aware of any drastic changes to your water bill can really help you catch those small issues from causing gradual damage that insurance will not cover. Keeping detailed records of any repairs you do or any professionals you hire to work on the home will help you with insurance claims and who will be responsible. In addition, you should review your insurance policy and decide if you need to purchase any endorsements for additional coverage. Homeowners' insurance can cover a variety of water-related disasters, from bursting pipes to a toilet overflow. Give SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita a call if your home or business is affected by water damage (316) 684-6700.  

Other News

View Recent Posts