SERVPRO Stove and Oven Safety
As the Holidays approach, yes, I said Holidays, can you believe it?! More and more people are cooking on their stoves for their families and the office potluck. Here at SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita we have seen our fair share of stove fires and thought what a better way to be there for you now, then to give you some tips on oven safety, so you don’t have to call us later.
Before each use, do an oven safety check.
- Be sure you do not smell gas leaking from a gas stove. If you do, open a window, and leave the room.
- Make sure there is nothing in the oven. An oven should never be used for storage.
- Make sure that there are no food particles or grease residue on the stove top.
- Position your oven racks before pre-heating to prevent scalding.
Be sure to follow safety guidelines when using stove top burners.
- Use the back burners as much as possible
- Make sure the pot fits on the burner properly and isn’t too large or too small.
- If you take the pot off the burner, be sure to shut it off and not leave it on.
- If the burner is hot make sure the pot is not empty.
- Make sure the handle of the pots are not in a position that they can be easily hit.
These are just a few tips in the oven safety world, of course be careful and never leave your stove unattended. If you do experience a fire in your home, please give SERVPRO a call, we will work hard to restore your items before recommending replacement. We also offer odor removal and deodorization due to smoke from fires in your home or business. We are 24 hours a day, 7 days a week so you can call us when you need us (316) 684-6700.