Low Temperatures in Wichita Can Cause Water Damage
This is the coldest streak of days we have had in Wichita in years and we are seeing the effects of this cold snap in a huge increase in water damages. As with any storm situation SERVPRO is “Ready for whatever happens” and is already helping people in Wichita and the surrounding area recover from water damage caused by low temperatures.
How to protect your home?
Frozen pipes are one of the largest sources of property damage during low temperature spells and can easily result in over $5,000 in damages. In the last ten years insurance companies estimated that 4 billion dollars has been spent on fixing broken pipes and the damage they cause. According to a study from the University of Illinois once the temperature gets down to 20 degrees Fahrenheit is when this type of damage see a large uptick. What can you do to prevent this?
- Allow faucet to drip this keeps the water pressure down and prevents pipes from freezing
- Open cabinet doors where there is plumbing to allow warm air to circulate around those pipes
- Keep the thermostat set to the same temperature day and night
- Do not allow the heat to go lower than 55° F
- Keep your garage door closed especially if there are water supply lines in the garage
- If you can, insulate pipes especially in unheated spaces like attics, crawlspaces, garages or pipes that lead outside.
- Pipe insulation is as low as 50 cents a linear foot
- Pay attention to your sump pump discharge line because that can freeze as well
- Insulate the discharge line
- Dripping faucets help keep them from freezing as well
If you are concerned that you have leaking due to a frozen or burst pipe in your home or business do not hesitate to call our expert technicians here at SERVPRO. Our 24/7 emergency response line is 316-684-6700.