What to do when your Basement Floods.
This Wichita basement flooded due to a combination of power failure and intense storms going on several days.
When a basement floods it is a stressful, confusing event which can take a lot of time, money and effort to bring your home back to where it was before the water damage. Whether the damage is caused by a broken water pipe, heavy rains, a failed sump pump or swelling of ground water complicate things further as they all require different approaches to make it like it never even happened.
Fortunately here at SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita we have been able to help families with flooded basements all around Wichita, Derby, Haysville and Andover and are ready to help you. In this blog we will seek to give you general advice for handling flooded basements but do remember our emergency line is open 24/7 and we are here to help you with specific advice for your flooded basement.
Safety for you and your family should be your first concern when you find out your basement has flooded. There are two main safety concerns in every water intrusion situation Electrical and Tripping hazards are the most prevalent source of injury in our industry.
- Never go into a flood damaged basement with standing water which has submerged outlets or other active sources of electricity. Wait for the water to be pumped out by a professional, such as SERVPRO, if you can’t safety do that yourself.
- Most home electronic systems and devices can be damaged from being submerged or exposed to water. Don’t us devices or outlets that have been exposed to water even after the water has been pumped out.
- It is not just the water but also the particulates in the water which will stay behind even after the water has been removed that can damage electrical systems and equipment.
- Not everything breaks immediately it can take time after electrical system is exposed to water before it breaks or becomes unsafe.
- Pay attention to where you are walking, many restoration professionals have hurt themselves walking across different materials (such as carpet to tile) because they didn’t expect the different in friction when these materials are wet.
- If you are removing any materials from your basement remember that wet materials can be VERY heavy.
- Keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging
When you have accounted for safety you can move on to being proactive about your home and belongings before our restoration technicians get there. Every minute counts which is why we respond 24/7 to emergencies and why anything you do until we get there can help protect your home.
- If possible find the source of water intrusion and stop the flow of water into your property. Check your sump pump to make sure it is working. They sometimes get unplugged or the arm gets stuck. If a pipe is broken shut off your water valve to your home.
- Remove as much water as you can. Using a shop vac, mopping or blotting possible. The less water which is allowed to soak into your furniture, walls and carpet the better off you will be.
- Move furniture off of wet carpet and wipe the legs or bottoms before placing in an unaffected area. Wet furniture, especially wood and metal, can stain carpet very quickly.
- If you cannot remove furniture from an affected area you can place foil or woodblocks between furniture legs and the carpet to prevent staining.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting so their coloring doesn’t bleed onto the carpet.
- Turn on air conditioning for maximum drying in the summer.
Remember that our emergency line 316-684-6700 is always answered by one of the restoration professionals here at SERVPRO so we can give you advice specific to your situation. We are always Here to Help.
Restoring your Wichita Commercial Property After a Water Damage Event
Flood waters drenched this Wichita business but after our technicians extracted the water and set equipment they were back at work the next day.
Flooding and water damage events at Wichita commercial properties are often complex with numerous issues that require a knowledgeable and flexible response. Whether we’re dealing with a relatively small water cleanup scenario or a large scale event, we work quickly to assess each unique situation and isolate the damaged area. In many instances, normal operations can continue in a temporary space while we restore your facility.
Restoring Commercial Properties Presents Unique Challenges
Our professionals are trained to be mindful of legal and environmental concerns and strive to fully restore the damaged area while working within your budgetary constraints. We understand that every hour spent cleaning up is an hour of lost revenue and productivity. So when an emergency situation arises in your business, give us a call and we’ll be there fast with the help you need.
About SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita
SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita specializes in the cleanup and restoration of commercial and residential property after a water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.
SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita Company Profile
- CCT - Carpet Cleaning Technician
- WRT - Water Damage Restoration Technician
- ASD - Applied Structural Drying Technician
- UFT - Upholstery & Fabric Cleaning Technician
- JTC - Journeyman Textile Cleaner
- ECTP - Employee Certification Training Program
- FSRT - Fire & Smoke Damage Restoration Technician
- IICRC Certified Firm
- OCT - Odor Control Technician
- AMRT - Applied Microbial Remediation Technician
Does Your Wichita Home Have A Mold Problem?
In Wichita mold can spread through a home in as little as 48 hours.
Microscopic mold spores naturally occur almost everywhere indoors and out. This makes it impossible to remove all mold from a home or business. Therefore, mold remediation reduces the mold spore count back to its natural or baseline level. Some restoration businesses advertise “mold removal” and even guarantee to remove all mold, which is a fallacy. Consider the following mold facts:
- Mold is present almost everywhere, indoors and outdoors.
- Mold spores are microscopic and float along in the air and may enter your home through windows, doors, or AC/heating systems or even hitch a ride indoors on your clothing or a pet.
- Mold spores thrive on moisture. Mold spores can quickly grow into colonies when exposed to water. These colonies may produce allergens and irritants.
- Before mold remediation can begin, any sources of water or moisture must be addressed. Otherwise, the mold may return.
- Mold often produces a strong, musty odor and can lead you to possible mold problem areas.
- Even higher-than-normal indoor humidity can support mold growth. Keep indoor humidity below 45 percent.
If your home or business has a mold problem, SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita can inspect and assess your property and use our specialized training, equipment, and expertise to remediate your mold infestation.
If You See Signs of Mold, Call Us Today –316-684-6700
Wichita Smoke and Soot Cleanup
Smoke and Soot Damage Can Cause a Pervasive Odor in Wichita Homes and Businesses.
Smoke and soot is very invasive and can penetrate various cavities within your home, causing hidden damage and odor. Our smoke damage expertise and experience allows us to inspect and accurately assess the extent of the damage to develop a comprehensive plan of action.
Smoke and soot facts:
- Hot smoke migrates to cooler areas and upper levels of a structure.
- Smoke flows around plumbing systems, seeping through the holes used by pipes to go from floor to floor.
- The type of smoke may greatly affect the restoration process.
Different Types of Smoke
There are two different types of smoke–wet and dry. As a result, there are different types of soot residue after a fire. Before restoration begins, SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita will test the soot to determine which type of smoke damage occurred. The cleaning procedures will then be based on the information identified during pretesting. Here is some additional information:
Wet Smoke – Plastic and Rubber
- Low heat, smoldering, pungent odor, sticky, smeary. Smoke webs are more difficult to clean.
Dry Smoke – Paper and Wood
- Fast burning, high temperatures, heat rises therefore smoke rises.
Protein Fire Residue – Produced by evaporation of material rather than from a fire
- Virtually invisible, discolors paints and varnishes, extreme pungent odor.
Our Fire Damage Restoration Services
Since each smoke and fire damage situation is a little different, each one requires a unique solution tailored for the specific conditions. We have the equipment, expertise, and experience to restore your fire and smoke damage. We will also treat your family with empathy and respect and your property with care.
Have Questions about Fire, Smoke, or Soot Damage?
Call Us Today – 316-655-6094
Wichita 24 Hour Emergency Water Damage Service
SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita provides 24 hour fire and water damage restoration service in Wichita for residential and commercial properties.
SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita is ready to help 24 hours a day for your small and large water emergencies. When you are dealing with water damage immediate action is crucial. A delay of just a few hours can greatly increase the severity of the water damage.
We Answer the Phone Ready to Help
Call Today - 316-684-6700
We understand that when you call us, you may be feeling stressed, vulnerable and confused. You need an expert to guide you through this crisis. SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita has the specific water damage training and experience to help you through this tough time. We specialize in water damage restoration—in fact, it's the cornerstone of our business.
What to Expect
When you call, we will ask several questions regarding your water damage emergency. These questions will help us determine what equipment and resources to bring, including how many trained SERVPRO Professionals may be needed.
Our SERVPRO Representative will ask several questions:
- Your name and contact information
- Your insurance information (if applicable)
- The street address of the water-damaged home or business
- When did the flooding or water damage occur?
- What caused the water damage (if known)?
- Is there electricity available (on-site)?
About SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita
SERVPRO of Northeast Wichita specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property after a fire, smoke or water damage event. Our staff is highly trained in property damage restoration. From initial and ongoing training at SERVPRO’s corporate training facility to regular IICRC-industry certification, rest assured our staff is equipped with the knowledge to restore your property.